Skip to main content

Istanbul, You Were Once Constantinople

Photograph by Paul Hsu

Istanbul, You Were Once Constantinople

1.
In the basilica
of Hagia Sophia
I remain silent like Paul
as I round tall chambers and halls.
Footfalls profound on holy ground.

2.
I sail to Byzantium
a country before amen.

3.
Byzantium ancient beauty
classical city by the sea
backstreets crossroads of poetry
encounters art faith mystery.

4.
On the seashore of the Marmara Sea
I walk on marble waves pray on my knees.

5.
When I turn toward Turkey
I speak of great beauty
of the gray-eyed lady
at the pharmacy
You touch me heal me.

by Paul Hsu 6/10-11/15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fire Chief Speaks to Her Roadside Dog

Photographs by Paul Hsu The Fire Chief Speaks to Her Roadside Dog On Gratitude Thank you for coming so quickly, partner. You are my best friend. On Arts and Crafts We work to put out the fires that rage across the city. On Poetry as Power with Purpose Let us save brothers and sisters shadowed by lighting whole worlds with our brave heart smiles. by Paul Hsu 4-4-16

Abecedarian on Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass

Abecedarian on Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass Almost biblical this character destined for expansion and freedom and grandiosity but not exile and death of self and cultural versus contemplative Christianity. America is a beautiful country of deforestation and devastation and exploitation and founded because of greed and hegemony. Blood beneath the boot soles. Celebration of the bicentennial birthday of the white-bearded wizard with his songs of this rugged American life. Democracy now has been compromised believe it or not by agents bringing about change from deep down for better or worse. Earth is one poem of the universe. by Paul Hsu 7-3-18