Skip to main content

Denise Levertov's "Living" (Mental Notes to Self)

New Directions Books

Living

The fire in leaf and grass
so green it seems
each summer that last summer.

The wind blowing, the leaves
shivering in the sun,
each day the last day.

A red salamander
so cold and so
easy to catch, dreamily

moves his delicate feet
and long tail. I hold
my hand open for him to go.

Each minute the last minute.


Levertov, Denise. Selected Poems. New Directions Books. New York, 2002.


Post-it footnote: You can taste and see how my impoverished imitation pales in comparison to the light of the original. Well, at best, my "flip-side of the same coin" poem "Dying: After Denise Levertov's 'Living'" is trying to have a good-natured, hopefully, prayerful conversation with this particular source of inspiration and consternation. But I do ask myself this question once again: Have I left the green grounding too early? Stretched my wings and taken flight prematurely?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Better Poem

Photograph by Paul Hsu Better Poem I am classless. I have lost the present. One day you may find me laid low in the dust and not immediately recognize me off and on the road to thousands elsewhere. by Paul Hsu 4-1-16

The Fire Chief Speaks to Her Roadside Dog

Photographs by Paul Hsu The Fire Chief Speaks to Her Roadside Dog On Gratitude Thank you for coming so quickly, partner. You are my best friend. On Arts and Crafts We work to put out the fires that rage across the city. On Poetry as Power with Purpose Let us save brothers and sisters shadowed by lighting whole worlds with our brave heart smiles. by Paul Hsu 4-4-16